Sunday, January 11, 2009

Remembering Dad

Dad, He has been gone a long time and there are certainly days I would just love to have him around. So many days I still need a dad and a heart to heart talk.  I miss that more than anything.  He always gave me such great advice, and now I feel alone in this difficult world.  Many days I know that he would love, watching the grandkids grow up and enjoying his great grandchildren.  I know that he would be very interested in his own children's lives as well.  I know this because when dad was still with us he would drop in over my house during the middle of the day and we would talk.  I would show him proudly what I was working on and I am quite sure it wasnt very interesting.  I was just thrilled to have him in my home.  I wanted him to be proud of me.  It was a rough start but we talked through so much of it, during the PPI, that occurred  each visit and we understood each other.  He was a very kind and understanding man, however he had a distinct knowledge of right and wrong.  There was no gray areas with dad.  However, he loved you regardless and wanted more than anything to be involved with your life.  I knew he loved me and that was the greatest gift.  He enjoyed being with me, another wonderful gift, and he always greeted me with a warm welcome when I would stop by, even if the boys would throw rocks in the pool.  He really enjoyed those boys.  I think one of the last outings he took them on was to a pawn shop.  I am not sure if he was buying or selling or just thought it would be an interesting field trip!  He was always stirring things up, teasing, or playing a joke.  I see a lot of that in myself.  I hear his voice in so many things I do.  When I am working in the yard I hear him reminding me to pull the  weeds by the roots,  Whenever I parallel park I hear him teaching me how, I am still the best parallel parker of all my friends because dad taught me.  I hear his voice and his words of wisdom regarding friendship and relationships. His words constantly ring in my ears "is that really worth ruining a relationship over?  Or "is that really worth your eternal salvation"  He must have known something because he had lots of friends A successful business and the respect of his customers and his employees.  A great life. No wonder a man like that is greatly missed.  His power and presence were so essential to my life, it is no great surprise that I think about him every day and on numerous occasions I have felt his presence in my life. Dustin and I were just talking about that yesterday when he said he was thinking of him as well.  He is with us, I am sure he feels his work is not done because we need him so much.  But who doesnt need a dad.  That is why he is cheering Kendall on , they probably meet quarterly to give reports and advice and we dont hear about it!  What ever it takes.  We can all use all the help we can get.  I love you, Dad  and miss you way more than you know.  Thank you for being a great dad and I love you Kerry

2 comments:

Robert and Lindsay said...

Thanks Kerry! I love remembering that he is always there cheering us on! xoxo

trish said...

That was so great Kerry. I completely believe that he is watching us. In my blessing it says I have a guardian angel watching over me. I have always thought of grandpa del as that angel. What great man he was. He has passed on some wonderful lessons and wonderful, happy memories to our family!